Friday, June 06, 2008

Lawn, Health - Make Your Choice

There is a condo beside my house (it is finished) that always has strangely green grass. Of course unfortunately I know why. The condo owner uses pesticides as he is obsessed with the cleanliness and beautification of his lawn. Why? - who knows. All I know is that he really is obsessed with it. A couple years ago he purposely killed the strip of grass in between our lawn and his so that no weeds could migrate over to his lawn. I don't know what he used to do that but it looks bad because it didn't just kill the weeds, it also killed all the grass. So now there is still an ugly yellow strip of lawn in between our lawns. Over the past few years he has also come onto out lawn a couple of times when we were outside and start talking to us. What he talks about I think is kind of crazy. He says that we better get our weeds in our lawn under control or he would sue our landlord. That is crazy!! I mean it's our lawn! Anyway - our weeds aren't that bad...
I have recently been researching the effects of pesticides to ones health. There are actually many effects - all of them of course bad. Some of the effects of your common lawn pesticide are asthma, birth defects, neurological effects, cancer and hormone disruption.
For me I think it would be an easy choice between your lawn or someones health. For some people it may not be easy.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Isaac,It seems like an easy decision to me as well.I mean how critical is someones lawn?????
Oma

Ollie said...

Hey Isaac. How are you? Well, Ive made a new blog about the earth if you want to check it out. Here's the address:

http://www.suburbearth.blogspot.com/

I think you would find it interesting. Post on it and tell me what you think!

Speck said...

did you tell him that weeds travel by the air with the seeds not the ground?