I just got back from my first news conference ever, the media conference to release this year's line up for the Edmonton Folk Music Festival.
Edmonton Folk Fest producer Terry Wickham had a lot to say regarding this year's festival. Some artists playing this year's festival include Calexico, Gord Downie, Sarah Harmer, Ben Harper, The Waifs and Patrick Watson. Wickham announced this Ben Harper would actually be playing Thursday night on the mainstage, instead of playing the Wednesday night benefit concert. This is because he (Terry Wickham) didn't think that Ben Harper could bring the 10, 000 people that they hoped to attract to the Wednesday night concert. Instead, Wickham is searching for a bigger artist to play Wednesday night, though he thinks that the Wednesday night concert this year just wont work out.
Terry Wickham also stated that he thinks that this year's festival will have one of it's strongest World Music section yet! Some World artists include Aterciopelados from Columbia, Debashish Bhattacharya from India, Te Vaka from a Samoa, Cook Islands, New Zealand and Tuvalu and, Aurelio Martinez from Honduras.
Another thing new to this year's festival will be street performers entertaining people while they wait in line to get into the festival. This was announced at the press conference as well and a few specific performers were mentioned. I think that this will be a great addition to the festival as waiting in line for hours can get a bit boring!
Now I've got to go back to school, but I will try to post more information when I get home. For more information about this year's festival, visit efmf.ab.ca.
1 comment:
Thanks for the low-down Isaac. I look forward to festivalling with you this year.
Post a Comment