Monday, December 01, 2008

What Does All This Mean?

I’m back on the topic of the coalition government idea here in Canada. Before all this happened, I had no idea what a coalition government was. But now I’ve researched it, at least a little bit. So now I’ll just tell you what I think about this idea.

I think that a coalition government would be a good idea. It would allow all the parties to express their ideas and opinions and bring forward their ideas the loudest.

Also, if there was a coalition government with the Liberal, NDP and Bloc Quebecois parties, my MP, Linda Duncan would definitely play a big role in it because she is the only non-Conservative MP in Alberta.

Also, this coalition government idea has been proven to work! Germany has had many coalition governments over the years. The FDP (a German political party) had a coalition government with the Germany Green Party from 1998 to 2005. And at different times, the CDU/CSU (another German political party) had a coalition with the SPD (yet another German political party) and the CDU had a coalition with the FDP.

So, I don’t really have that much information about this topic, but I have enough to voice some starting opinions. I will write more about this as the coalition government idea progresses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, coalition works if parties are able to work together and if their interests meets at least at some points. In this case it seems to be almost impossible , the only common factor seems to be to delete result of election and create coalition government without any planned program to lead Canada through this world wide economical crisis.
The early budget with money saving cuts was the last drop too much to coalition .. that is a serious warning sign what might happen to Canada's economy if this kind of coalition get through.

Heidi said...

It is definitely interesting to watch it all unfold - especially because it is such a new idea here in Canada. I imagine that coalitions will only become more and more common if we continue to have a multi-party system (which I hope that we do). It seems to me that while it might be a little bit more challenging for the politicians, it could be a better way to reflect the diverse views of Canadians...now if only the politicians can learn to compromise, cooperate and, dare I say, come to consensus...I hope we won't be disappointed.