Tuesday, February 12, 2008
What Really is the next step Towards Fighting Global Warming?
A recent study shows some interesting facts, that Ethanol, the fuel known for producing less carbon dioxide than other fuels, might be worse for the environment than other fuels. Ethanol is made from corn and the study shows that even though it produces less CO2, the amount of land it takes to grow it might even be worse. This worries me as I think it shows that we really don't know the next step towards fighting Global Warming. It seems that we are just taking stabs at different ways to reduce our CO2 emmisions yet in some cases we are just making it worse. This also has a big effect on peoples lives other than just that other peoples mistakes might ruin their earth. For instance if I was one of the people paying more for the Ethanol fuel because I thought it would help the environment, right about now I'd be pretty mad. Who knows what other globally impacting mistakes are being made right now? I'm pretty worried. What I'm trying to do though is just take small steps at a time towards fighting Global Warming. For instance, we know that composting and recycling are good things to do. For more information on how Ethanol might be worse click here to see the CBC article I got my information from.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
While it might seem kind of depressing, its still important to learn about the real effect of the fuel choices that we make. I think that the problem is that we are simply trying to find new fuels to keep living the way we live instead of actually thinking about changing some of the fundamentals. In other words, instead of focusing on trying to create a cleaner fuel, shouldn't we be be focusing on our society's obsession/reliance on the automobile and actually looking at different ways of, for example, creating/designing our cities so that we don't feel like we need to drive everywhere.
Post a Comment