Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Alberta Election Called for March 3

Alberta conservative leader Ed Stelmach anounced on February 4 that there would be an Alberta provincial election. Premier Stelmach anounced this less than an hour after the speech from the throne.

I talked a little about the election buzz in my latest issue of Die Zeitung. I said that my family would be happy for an election. We love sitting around the TV watching the votes come in. Of course an election is also another chance to get another party in power after 36 years of a Conervative provincial government, all of them being majorities. It would be great just to get a Conservative minority really.

If you look at the past election results there really hasn't been a lot of different parties in power. There are the Conservatives now, then there was the Social Credit, then there were United Farmers and then Liberal in 1905, 1909, 1913 and 1917. If we can make that happen again with a whole four years of Liberal government I think that would be pretty good.

In the past election in 2004 the results were - Conservative: 62 seats Liberal: 16 seats NDP: 4 seats and Alliance: 1. In the next election hopefully we can even out that a little bit more. Maybe.

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

I just ordered our yard sign for Rachel Notley - maybe we should volunteer with her campaign?

Heidi said...

It should be interesting indeed. Perhaps there is change afoot? I think even if you like a political party its not healthy for them to be in power for such a long time. I think you're right that a minority gov't in Alberta would be quite interesting.

Heidi said...

This is Rachel Notley, as in Grant Notley's daughter? Maybe she'll ride the emotional wave into office? (I'm sure she's very qualified on her own merits as well)

Kirsten said...

That's the Notley!
She's been hard at it on the campaign trail for about a year now...I feel pretty confident.
(Crap - did I just jinx it!?!!)