Here's a fun mix tape that I made on MixWit. It's full of great Canadian music for you to listen to while reading all my live-blogs of the election tomorrow night.
Here's a track listing of the tape with a description of why the songs are important this election.
1. The Reasons by The Weakerthans. There are lots of reasons this election. Reasons why you picked the person you're voting for. The reason why you even chose to vote!
2. Autumn's Here by Hawksley Workman. Autumn is here this election and I feel this song is all about how it's OK to cry, no matter what reason. Just like this election I might just cry if the Conservatives win a majority... And of course there's that reference somewhere in the middle about Stephen Harper's sweater.
3. 7/4 (Shoreline) by Broken Social Scene. Broken Social Scene is a collective of many talented musicians. In this election it is more important than ever before to work and think together in many ridings if you want to kick the Conservatives out.
4. Real Estate by Cadence Weapon. The title says it all really. Real estate and affordable housing is a very important topic in this election. And also as many of my readers are from Edmonton they will be interested to know that Cadence Weapon is actually from Edmonton.
5. Bad Time to be Poor by Rheostatics. Once again, the name says it all. Staying on the topic of affordable housing and the poor, as these are very important issues in this election, this song is once again very important.
6. Comin' Home by City and Colour. This isn't exactly about the election but it talks about places all across the country. I think that elections are a special event that includes the whole country so this kind of fits...
7. The Butcher by Final Fantasy. Owen Pallett is very different, he started doing this kind of stuff when he was quite young. Personally, I think that he is a very good role model, but sadly he's probably the kind of person Stephen Harper doesn't seem to value.
8. Iron Grey by Geoff Berner. This song once again doesn't have that much to do with the election but Geoff Berner does. I've met him and seen him perform many times. I always think it's amazing how brave he is to speak out about the government and issues that matter to him.
9. Archaeologists by Wintersleep. One of my latest things that I've posted was about how none of the Conservatives answered questions for Make Poverty History. Well I think that the chorus really speaks for those Conservatives as they sing: "don't speak to me now!"
10. Strange Days by Matthew Good. Matthew Good is very outspoken about his thoughts about politics through his blog. I think that also the title of this song reflects what's coming for us in the future, some truly Strange Days.
11. Where and When by Hayden. I hope everyone knows where and when to vote tomorrow!
12. If Rap Gets Jealous by K'Naan. K'naan is from Somalia and this song talks all about the struggles and what he had to go through when he lived there. He now lives in Canada and tells everyone about how we need to help the people over there. (Sorry about all the swears)
13. Blood's Too Rich by Luke Doucet. I don't really know about this song, about what it's got to do with the election. It's a great song though by a great artists who's lived all over Canada!
14. You Have a Choice by Various great Canadian artists. No explanation needed. My favourite line though is: "Not just dressing it up in a sweater."
So now just kick back, enjoy the election (or well, maybe not enjoy depending on the results...) and listen to some great Canadian music.



No comments:
Post a Comment