Sunday, March 09, 2008

Operation Disc Drop (Updated Version)

Tonight I saw a really cool thing on the CBC show The Hour! It is called Operation Disc Drop. It is where you make a CD of your favourite music and then you drop it of anywhere in the city where you live. I encourage everyone who reads this to do this. (Auntie Heidi!) I did one last night and I am dropping it off tomorrow at the bus shelter across from Garneau School and beside the Movie Studio in Edmonton.
Also if you found my disc, I put a link to this post. Could you please post a comment to let me know that you received it? Then, once you've listened to all the tracks, please figure out some of the artists that you like and search them up, then you can listen to some more great music! After you listen to some more great music pass the CD on by dropping it off at another public place! Thank you!
To learn more about Operation Disc Drop visit the article on The Hour's website by clicking here.

Oh, and by the way here is what I posted on The Hour's Blog about my disc drop. (Auntie Heidi!):
Hi, my name is Isaac and I'm 11 years old. I thought that this disc drop thing is a really cool idea so I thought I'd make one myself! I made it tonight and I'm going to drop it off in the bus shelter for the bus stop across from Garneau School and beside the Movie Studio in Edmonton Alberta.Here are the tracks that I put on my CD:
1. I'm With Stupid - Chumbawamba
2. Remote - Heidi Wurmann
3. Say It Ain't So - Weezer
4. Way Back When - Buck 65
5. Smile - K'Naan
6. Ain't No Reason - Brett Dennen
7. Civil Twilight - The Weakerthans
8. Body In A Box - City and Colour
9. Chango - Ozomatli
10. Dashboard - Modest Mouse
11. Wheat Kings - The Tragically Hip
12. King Of Spain - Moxy Fruvious
13. Underwhelmed - Sloan
14. The Plot - White Rabbits
15. Record Body Count - Rheostatics
16. In The Valley - The Lovely Feathers
17. Senses Working Over Time - XTC
18. I Know I'm Not Alone - Michael Franti and Spearhead
I hope that who ever finds my CD likes it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent -- got the disc this morning. I'll definitely have a listen and read more about it on The Hour's website. I watch The Hour almost every day, so thanks for kicking things off!

Heidi said...

very cool Isaac - and apparently it works. :-) I'm curious to know what songs you chose to include on the cd. I just bought some blank discs so will definitely take part in this social experiment.

Isaac said...

For those of you who were wondering, I posted the list of tracks that I put on the CD on this post. The list was in a post on The Hour's Blog that I wrote so I posted the post too.

Anonymous said...

I'm listening to the tracks on the ODD CD right now. I haven't heard the White Rabbits before, but I like their track. I also like the Buck 65 track (I have heard him before, but not that song), and I'm also impressed with K'naan and Brett Dennen. I haven't listened to the Franti tune yet, but look forward to it since I usually like his stuff.

My goal for tomorrow is to decide where I'm going to drop the disc off for the next person. It's a tough decision!

As I posted on The Hour's blog, it's interesting that I'm already a fan of some of the tunes, but some of the music is new. What I have found most interesting, though, is your blog -- I have to admit, it was a surprise to see that I have some things in common with the stranger who dropped this disc (e.g., disillusion with the recent election results in Alberta) even though on your blog it claims that you are ONLY eleven years old! I'm more than twice as old, but I have much respect for the diversity of musical interests represented on the CD, as well as political savvy articulated on your blog.