Monday, September 15, 2008

An Election's Coming! An Election's Coming!

Yes, the third election in only 4 years has been called and will be held mid-October.
This blog has been asked to participate in many political coverages of the election including on CityTV and on the Current on CBC.
I think that this is a great idea but I realized that I haven't excactly been writing on this blog a lot lately, let alone about politics. So now I will get started.
First of all, what will this election bring to Canadian politics? Will we elect another Conservative Minority Government, or even a Conservative Majority. Or will the Liberals pull off a Minority? Probably not, but hey, everybody's got to fantasize once and a while.
But one thing that I hope will change after this election is how Canada is seen throughout the rest of the world. I heard that in Europe, Canada's election isn't very widely known, in Europe all the talk is about the US election. This is understandable because the President that the US chooses will probably have more of an impact on the Europeans. And of course, this is probably because Canada is known to be a peaceful (or rather boring) country. All that was changed though, when Stephen Harper came to power. First dismissing the Kyoto Protocol which was recently signed by Paul Martin before Stephen Harper was called to power. And then Canada was also known to be a sort of ambassador to the arts, which now with Stephen Harper, we are losing that ammbasadorness.
All this will hopefully change after this next election. But now, we'll just have to wait and see.
The information for this post was gathered from the article: North America's Other Election.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

It is interesting that this election has been called at this time. I can't help but be a bit cynical about the fact that Harper knew that even in Canada people would be as interested, if not more interested, in the American election. The less interest there is in issues and election campaigns, the more likely it is that the incumbents will be re-elected. I also find it interesting that the Conservatives have not had the same tactic with this election as last time. They were announcing very specific platforms and promises - almost every day of the campaign last time. This time it seems to be more about image and rebranding Harper as a family man who can smile.

Will you be doing a live blog during the debates?