Friday, August 07, 2009

Friday Afternoon Workshops (Joel Plaskett, Kathleen Edwards, Neko Case...)

The workshops at the folk fest started today. For those of you who don't know, a workshop is a concert at a smaller stage that usually has 2 - 4 different artists performing at them. It's great to learn and hear about new music, and hear everyone performing together, to create a musical "fusion".

The first workshop I went to today, was with Joel Plaskett, Alex Cuba, Chloe Albert, and David Francey with Dave Swarbrick. I mainly came to this workshop to see Joel Plaskett, but also became to know and enjoy Alex Cuba and Chloe Albert. This workshop was really great in hearing all the artists performing together. At some points during the performance, you could hardly tell who was part of what band!




Joel Plaskett and his father Bill Plaskett. They played lots of songs from Joel Plaskett's newest album 3



The whole stage with Joel and Bill Plaskett, Alex Cuba and band, Chloe Albert and David Francey with Dave Swarbrick and band.

The second workshop, which was right after and at the same stage as the first, had Kathleen Edwards, Neko Case and Chuck Brodsky. I really enjoyed both Neko Case and Kathleen Edwards at this workshop. What was different about this one from the first, though, was that they all played their songs separately, there was no collaborating or "jamming", which was really great too, because we really got to know each artist.



Kathleen Edwards, who played some great tunes including a "child friendly" version of her song the Cheapest Key that she had to write for CBC Kids.


Neko Case with Paul Rigby (I think...). They played some great, soft, country songs that I quite enjoyed.

I also wanted to let everyone know that I did get an interview with Joel Plaskett. The interview will be on Sunday at 1:30 PM, so stay tuned that day for some highlights of the interview.

For those of you who weren't able to make it to the folk fest, stay tuned for more live updates from the festival. And for those who are at the folk fest, I'll see you on the hill!

No comments: