This was another awesome workshop, especially as it included three of my favourite performers here at the folk fest, Johnny Flynn, Joel Plaskett, and Danny Michel. With this workshop they artists mostly kept to their own songs, and didn't provide the musical "fusion" so much, but they still did a little. And with these musicians, I think it was the perfect amount of "fusion".
Danny Michel was pretty much same old same old, which is fine... his same old same old is pretty good. He started off by playing some songs about not wanting to have to sing and perform at 11:00 AM, and then after that still stuck with the whiny songs :).
Joel Plaskett was really great. He played some songs that I had never even heard of, which was awesome! He played pretty much the whole set slow soft songs, he said it was to wake up. I want to mention that I'd been up since 6:00 AM for the colour raffle, so I had already woken up a long time ago!
Johnny Flynn was excellent, as usual. He started off with what he said was the saddest song he knows. He then went into a song about football. "What do you people here call it?" he asked. "Soccer? That's stupid...". He was absolutely amazing and made me want to buy his CD even more, though unfortunately all this CDs were sold out!
Sierra Hull, a bluegrass musician from the US was surprisingly OK. I'm not a huge fan of bluegrass, but with Sierra Hull played an amazing group. Everyone in her group was extremely talented.
In other news, I interview Joel Plaskett about an hour ago. I will be posting some highlights of the interview on my blog shortly. In about an hour and a half, I will be interviewing Israeli musicians Idan Raichel. So stay tuned throughout the rest of the day for one of my busiest days at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival yet.
For those of you who weren't able to make it to this year's folk fest, stay tuned! If you were able to make it, I'll see you on the hill!
1 comment:
Thanks for all of the updates Isaac - I really enjoyed following along...almost as good as being there. :-) I sure wish i could have been on the hill (or at the bottom of the hill as the case may be since you got 3rd colour) for the Iron and Wine concert. Love Sam Beam! Would have been perfect under the stars with candle light...
Post a Comment