Thursday, November 01, 2007

World Vision Charity

Me and some friends at my school thought that a great thing to do this Christmas would be to donate money to World Vision through their Christmas catalogue. You can donate many things. For 55 dollars you can buy to hens and a rooster to a family that needs it most in poor countries. For $1200.00 you can fill a stable with animals. The catalogue is full of things like that.

Today we brought this up with the class and everyone wanted to help. This is great but I think that the problem with this is that people probably think that we will do a bake sale and the World Vision Committee will quickly become the Baking Club. The same thing happened last year where I started an Earth Day Committee. The second day that I started talking about a girl in my class came up and asked if she could join the Baking Club. So me and Rebecca (my friend who also came up with the idea and is sharing the role of chair person of the committee) decided that this year we will definitely not be doing a bake sale.

Last week our class formed a Halloween Committee to put together a Halloween Committee. The committee and the party went very well. Every Thursday we have a class council meeting with our class government. Me and Rebecca put forward the idea of a committee for World Vision. Everyone agreed that this was a great idea. Later on someone thought that the people for the Halloween Committee should get paid with our class money Scholar Dollars. Then people thought that the World Vision Committee should get paid. I definitely do not agree with this idea! Anyway Aden in the class council moved that the Halloween Committee and the World Vision Committee get paid. It passed!!

Urgggggg!!!

The reason I don't want to get paid for this is because it's a charity. I think that a charity means that you help someone or something with no reward and I think that a reward even includes fake class money. Now people will join because they think that we will be doing a bake sale (which we will not!!) and they will get paid for it! Oh boy. In the committee I want people who will contribute to discussion and help the committee.

That's just my view.

But I do think that this will go well and I hope that we raise a lot of money for World Vision and if we will be getting paid, I for one will not be accepting it.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Hey Isaac,
That sounds like a great idea - I wish you luck in figuring out how to raise money. Committees can be really exciting and frustrating at the same time. The hard part is that when we work with a group, we sometimes have to compromise! Good luck with it all and let me know how it all goes.

hannelore said...

That is annoying that some people will get involved for the rewards, however it is a realistic portrayal of the world outside of school....