Yes, this is American politics and I know I don't usually write about American politics. Actually, I don't think I ever have so this is new. I think that the way American federal elections go though is kind of interesting though, and to some Canadians it might be wierd.
The way I understand it is that the Republicans and the Democrats each put a bunch of people in the primaries. The primaries are where people decide which person is going to be representing the Democrats or the Republicans when the big election comes. So there's a mini election (a primary) in each state. Yesterday was Super Tuesday where about 20 states have there primaries all on one day! The main two candidates for the Democrats are Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. This is interedsting because if Clinton were to become President then she would be the first woman presdent the country has ever had. If Obama were to become President then he would be the first African-American Presidant the country's ever had. The three main cnadidates for the Pepublicans are Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney and John McCain. There are also other candidates but those are the only ones that have actually won any primaries.
So, for the results after yesterdays Super Tuesday. Obama has pulled ahead for the Democrats with 15 primaries won and McCain has pulled ahead for the Republicans with 12 primaries won. It's very close though. With the Democrats Clinton is only 3 behind Obama with 12. And Huckabee has won 6 and Romney 11, just one behind McCain.
Back to how the American elections are interesting, what I find interesting and a bit strange is that for part of the time the parties don't really have a leader, unless they are the President. That's what these primaries are for. In Canada we have jujst one big political convention to decide.
I think it woud be very interesting to have either Clinton or Obama as President of the United Sates, almost as interesting as having a Liberal Alberta government...
2 comments:
I've been watching these primaries with interest as well although I do find it hard to wrap my head around the whole process. While I appreciate the time it takes to effectively travel the country and campaign, I think I like the 30 day limit to campaigning here in Canada. It also means that you don't need quite as much money for your campaign - its quite shocking to hear how much money is being spent on these campaigns...and this is just to find out who will be the presidential candidates for each party - there's more campaigning to happen after all of this is over! On the plus side, I'm happy that the Americans are getting excited about the political process and that there are some interesting candidates running, although I have a hard time figuring out who would be the best bet from Canada's perspective.
I'm all for Obama as he seems the most left. I get a queer satisfaction out of watching the republicans spend upwards of 50 million dollars to still lose. I think that is the best use of their money anyway. Very sad that someone probably much more deserving of the Presidency can't run because they don't have the money.
Post a Comment