Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Peters Map


Allison, this is for you!


There are many different maps all around the world. The map that most people are accustomed to is the Mercator Map. This is the map that almost everyone knows is really out of proportion. Canada and Russia aren't really that big and Europe is actually not bigger than South America though it does appear that way on the Mercator Map.


The Peters Map is a map that shows everything in proportion. It shows that Canada and Russia are not as big as they seem and that South America is in fact bigger than Europe. One of the biggest things that I think you notice when looking at a Peters map is how big Africa is. It really is huge!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Thanks, Isaac. I think it is very interesting how much maps form our understanding of the world. Well, I guess that is what they are supposed to do....But my question is: why isn't the Peters map the standard?