Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What Does All This Mean?

So, I'm back on the topic of the coalition government. Before posting about this, I had absolutely no idea what a coalition government was, or what it could mean to Canada. So I'll just sum up shortly what it is.
A coalition government is when several political parties cooperate to run a country. Usually coalition governments happen in a "time of crisis". I'm assuming that this "crisis" is the economy. Now I don't understand the process of how the coalition government could be formed or any of that stuff, but I know what it is, and that's all that seems to really matter.
I think that a coalition government would be a good idea for Canada. Many people I've talked to don't think it's a good idea, but I think it is. It would be a change and give a chance for some other parties ideas to be heard loudest.
Also, if a coalition government were to be formed with the Liberal, NDP and Bloc Quebecois, the MP in my riding, Linda Duncan would surely play a big role in it, as she is the only non-Conservative MP in Alberta.
Also, there is proof that this coalition government idea works! In Germany for instance, there have been many coalition governments over the past years. From 1998 to 2005, the FDP (some political party in Germany) formed a coalition government with the Green Party in Germany. And at other times the CDU/CSU (another German party) formed a coalition government with the SPD (yet another party), and at another time the CDU formed a coaltion with the FDP.
So, that's just my opinion for now, I know there aren't many facts or really much of anything, but I have very limited knowledge right now. I will post more as this coalition government idea continues.

No comments: