Thursday, October 18, 2007

Throne Speech

On Tuesday the Conservative government released their throne speech which stated what would be happening in the next term of government which hopfully Stephen Harper won't be the Prime Minister of.

The main parts that it focused on was crime, taxes and extending the Afghanistan mission to 2011. If the speech is defeated then there will be an election. What I am confused about though is does that mean if people don't vote for it is that defeated? Anyway it is a very interesting matter. Unfortunately I didn't watch it becasue it was too early but hopefully some of you did. If you did please help me understand this more.

To read more about the throne speech visit the cbc website: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/10/16/speech-throne.html or you can wait until I write about it the next issue of Die Zeitung which will hopefully be coming out in the end of October.

3 comments:

Karrie said...

Hi Sweetpea,

Well in answer to your question about voting to defeat the Throne speechis: The Prime Minister and his cabinet write the speech outlining what the Conservative party hope's to accomplish during this new term.

If any of the other parties which sit in the House of Commons do not agree with the Conservatives, they can inform the Speaker of the House that they (Liberals, Bloc Quebecois, NDP )have lost faith in the Conservaties. When this happens, than the House takes a vote on whether they agree with this stand. They vote by standing up one at a time when the Speaker of the House asks them how they vote. If there are more yes votes than no's, the Conservaties will be defeated and than there will be a Federal Election held.

Well, I hope that helps you in understanding abit about the voting system in the House of Commons.

Love Always,
Aunty

Isaac said...

Thanks alot. It seemed to make sense up until the part where you said if there are more yes votes than no the Conservatives will be defeated. Do you mena more no votes than yes. Becasue you saying yes would be saying that they agree with the Conservatives.
Thank alot anyway!!!

Karrie said...

Ok Isaac,

Lets try this again.

When I mentioned the part of when the house votes. I meant that if the rest of the parties agree that they have lost faith in the Conservaties, than they will vote yes! If they (parties) vote no, meaning that they haven't lost faith in the Conservaties than the Conservative party will remain in power.

Does this help in your understanding? I hope so and if not than call me and I can try and explain it abit more clearly for you if you have any more questions.

Love Always,
Aunty Karrie