The Weakerthans are a band from Winnipeg that I was introduced to in 2005 at the Edmonton Folk Fest. They folk/rock band. I read somewhere that they've always been catagorized as a something slash something. They don't really have a specific genre. The lead singer whos name is John. K. Samson writes the songs as poems and then puts them to music.
They put their first album out called Fallow in 1997 during the flood. In the very back of the little booklet that has all song lyrics it even say: "Recorded on two-inch 24 track tape at Private Ear Studios (Winnipeg) during the flood of 1997." I think that this album was more folky. Also if you look on the back page it says: "For all your literary, caffeinated, and musical desires in Winnipeg please visit Mondragon Bookstore and Coffeehouse (91 Albert St.)" Almost everytime I go to Winnipeg I go to Mondragon which is a restaurant that is completely Vegitarian. My favourite dish there is the Elusive Pupusa by the way. Beneith this it says: "Long live the small and independant. Death to superstores everywhere." You gotta love them!
Right now I gotta go do my homework but stayed tuned for Weakerthans CD's two - four.
No comments:
Post a Comment