Last night was the 2007 Garneau Winter Concert. It was alot different from past years becasue usually we do a play or something and each class does a scene. This year the Calgary School of Samba came for the whole week to teach us Samba dancing. Samba dancing is a type of dance in Brazil that they dance most in the carnival season. Each grade did a different style of dance. The grade 5/6's theme was freedom and we danced to the Makulele which is a warrior dance. The dance incorporated parts of working in sugar cane fields and war dances. It was very hard for everyone to get the dance memorized though as we only had one week. I only had 3 days because I was in Coquiltam the other 2. The practices started off rocky but in the end I think the performance was as good as we could have made it.
Also part of the Calgary School of Samba coming meant that a drumming teacer would come and teach us drumming. We each got to choose our percussion instrument but because I was 2 days late I didn't get my choice. I was stuck with the mighty - mighty triangle. Each section of instruments got a different part during the Funky Samba Groove and my part, along with two of my other friends, was to go cha - cha - cha cha cha cha cha. Others with humougous bass drums and me with the triangle, I felt smaller I guess - but it was still fun! We all did the drumming part after our dance of freedom!
Before the drumming and the dancing though the choir sang. Last year I wasn't in the choir but this year I decided I would. We sang three songs at the very beginning of the concert. Sleep Little One, Winter Troika Ride and Winter Fantasy. I think the choir was very fun and I enjoyed all the songs. My mom afterwards said that she though we just got better and better. She also though that the last song sounded the hardest though even though it was the easiest:)
So all in all it was a very fun night. Unfortunately though my mom only took one picture of the choir! And that's all! But anyway we might try to gather some pictures from other parents so there will (hopefully) be pictures to come!
3 comments:
WOW that sounded like a super event although I am surprisd that MOM took so few pictures.Lets hope you an get some from some of the of the other keen parents to send us on the blog!!!RElax KIrsten, it's good to see that you are NOT PERFECT!!!!!!!
LOve to you both, OMA. XXOO
Isaac and KIrsten,
well I hope this comment goes through. Sometimes they lose mine -- I just did one that they lost!!!!
And you know how impatient that I am --it drives me MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That concert sounded like a great concert night! How lucky to get a samba teacher in and a percussion teacher too!
Post a Comment